Its getting pretty dark out there early, isn’t it? We actually lose 21 minutes of daylight per week this time of year. So, if you are doing any ultras this Fall most likely you will be starting and, for many of us, finishing in the dark. Take my advice, running trails at night with proper illumination is safe…very safe…except for the clowns lurking in the bushes…but as far as falling goes I see fewer falls on the night trail runs than I do on day light runs. Why, you ask? Simple A) You naturally go a tad bit slower and B) there are no visual distractions. Just your cone of light hitting the ground. Now, while night trail running is safe it is a different experience that needs a little getting used to. I highly recommend folks come out and try it especially if you will be running in the dark during race season. You never know, you might get hooked!
Here are the dark details for tonight:
Address: Redland Middle School, 6505 Muncaster Mill Road, Derwood, MD 20855 (Park around back to the right side of school)
Coordinates: 39.140327, -77.131554
Time: 6:30 (6:15 warm up)
Course: Redland Trail (upper and lower) clock wise (upper trail first)
– Mark your calendars so you don’t accidentally commit to running a road race. Sunday 5 November – The 32d Annual Muddy Shoes Phantastic Phall Phat Ass Haph Marathon and 10k. We’ll will be running from Needwood to Ag Farm and back. Great Trails, Great Phood and Great Phun. Don’t miss it. It is a non-official taper run for those doing Stone Mill the following week. This is our signature event. Donations will be accepted as well as a dish to munch on.
– We host the Stone Mill Course Preview Training Runs every Saturday in October. You don’t have to be running Stone Mill to come out and join us. Courses are all out-n-backs so you do more or less miles. All are welcome. Donation – $5 Run #3 is this Saturday. Details posted on Friday
– We still have Muddy Shoes Buffs ($10) and Car Magnets ($1 cheap) for sale. Don’t be caught without one!
– Our website is now up and running (no pun intended…well, actually my puns are all intentional). Check out the link:
– Registration for the MCRRC Winter Trails Program is OPEN! Come join Coach Bruce and Coach Audrey (Co-Directors) and a bunch of foul-mouthed, stinkin’ coaches such as myself to run the frosty trails of MoCo this Winter as we train for the Seneca Greenway Marathon and 50K. Here is the link:
C u on the dirt in the dark!
Muddy ‘Nocturnal’ Shoes